User:Gita Mathur/Advanced Learner Workshop EL4C22/Innovations in Teaching Plant Sciences
Pilot Project Title: Innovations in Teaching Biology
ALL ARE WELCOME TO ADD TO THIS PROJECT
- This Project can be extended to include Zoology & Microbiology and made into Biology Teaching
- I welcome all Biologists to this Project.
- 1 Why this Project
- 2 Innovations in Teaching
- 3 Science Teaching
- 4 Teaching Plant Sciences
- 5 Teaching Methodologies
- 6 Teacher Perspective
- 7 Student Perspective
Why this Project
- The whole world depends on plants for survival.
- Teaching about plants requires a special approach.
Innovations in Teaching
Theory and Lecture Classes
Experimentation and Practical Classes
Teaching Plant Sciences
Classical Botany approach
Why need for innovations
- I take the email ID's of all my students and make class-wise mailing groups.
- For every class I ask one student to be my "Email Contact" who ensures that everyone is getting the mails and tells me about change/addition of email ID from that class
- I send every class group, the syllabus, before starting of the new session in the college.
- Next, I mail a list of readings relevant to their course to be studied.
- I send paper-wise book lists for reading.
- I also send a soft copy of list of Botany Books in the college library and their location on the Gargi College library shelves.
- This also includes the number of copies of the books available in the Reference section and the Issue sections.
- As all my students do not have access to internet at home, I give out prints which they can photocopy. Some take copes from their friends.
- Where ever possible and relevant, I email reading materials which students can printout and bring to the class. I ensure that I send this well in advance.
- In Botany there are long Botanical names which students tend to copy from the classroom board making spelling mistakes. Sending them the list of names which would be used in the coming lecture solves this problem.For example Potato is Solanum tuberosum to Botanists.
- My main focus is on two lines
- Using the technological advancements in everyday, classroom education.
- Keeping a balance of Chalkboard teaching and internet usage. There can never be any method better than the Chalkboard / Whiteboard approach. The reason for this, in my opinion is that this method makes every lesson highly customized for that batch of students.