OERu/Planning/Technology working group/2015-02-20
- UTC (hover or click for local time)
- Hangout link
- reduce meeting frequency to monthly?
- using tables to build columns in WikiEducator for the benefit of VisualEditor users (example)
- SoundCloud audio clips (template, demo, in course) now in multiple sizes and formats
- updated OERu course page
- new Piwik for OERu.org
- UNESCO project proposal - Self-hosting of WordPress theme and new snapshot theme with focus on accessibility.
- OERu OSS survey (Live form - edit links distributed previously via email).
Just wanted to add some info around setting up Wordpress hosts. I have found in the past that creating a one click installer or image instance of a software product restricts the ability to keep the application software up to date. I have learned from more recent projects that using a one click application installer like Bitnami is very efficient (Bitnami is available in the cloud/Amazon EC2 etc). The trick to getting the customizations in place is to store them separately in subversion or GIT and map them to the file system of the application (the mapping only takes a minute after the Bitnami application has finished installing). This model of switching-out hand written files is made possible because Wordpress uses an interpreted language (PHP).
- The alternative is to take the Docker approach and containerize a known working environment, and then maintain the container. This keeps all of the moving parts under control of the person setting up the container. --Jim Tittsler (talk) 00:26, 20 February 2015 (UTC)