OERu/Planning/MVP marketing group/1st meeting
- Date: NZST (Click on link for local time.)
- Meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/541899894
- Welcome and introductions
- The OERu 1st year of study
- Phased launch schedule:
- Phase 1: Learning in a digital age
- Phase 2: Principles of management, Introduction to entrepreneurship and Introduction to project management.
- Phase 3 and beyond: Course release schedule to be determined at the international partner's meeting.
- Assumption: 8 week lead time for marketing
- Phased launch schedule:
- Inventory of existing collateral, resources and communication channels
- Outlining a process for developing a marketing plan
- What should it contain?
- What are the outputs?
- What are the steps in developing a plan?
- Communication tools for the MVP marketing group.
Record of meeting
- Attendance: Matthew Tarzwell, Lindsey Norris, Joanne Saunders, Erin Hoskings and Wayne Mackintosh. Apology: Helen Nolan.
- Summarised the OERu model and progress with the implementation of the OERu 1st year of study.
- Confirmed the philanthropic mission of the OERu noting that the OER Foundation does not generate any revenue from student services.
- Referenced the OERu open business model noting that partners can generate new revenue streams from value-added services.
- Noted the OERu partnership with Edubits, a micro-credentialing initiative led by Otago Polytechnic. The OERu will offer micro-credentials for business courses with pathways to achieving formal academic credit towards the Certificate of Higher Education in Business (OERu) to be conferred by the University of the Highlands and Islands.
- Discussed the phased launch schedule for the OERu 1st year of study consistent with the OERu Council of CEOs to proceed with a "soft launch" persuing realistic but conservative targets as the OERu builds brand awareness and collects data to inform future operations.
- Noted that the OERu will have a lead time of 6 - 8 weeks for marketing of the first course once the launch date is confirmed. We anticipate the the first micro-course for Learning in a Digital Age will be offered before the end of the current year.
- Clarified two marketing objectives relating to the phased launch:
- Announcing the launch of the courses for prospective learners
- Marketing of assessment services from the respective OERu partner institutions for learners interested in formal credit. The OERu will be able to inject partner marketing collateral for these services using our marketing automation software (Mautic).
- Noted the AddWords grant from Google for non-profits ($10,000 per month) that can applied to courses for the 1st year of study.
- Reviewed existing OERu marketing collateral which is openly licensed and can be branded by partner institutions including:
- Video: OERu - World-class Open Education - (Partner branded versions with local accent sound track can produced. See for example Otago Polytechnic and USQ versions with logo channel bug, own course screenshots and branded award sequence.)
- Learner rack card - can be branded using partner institution logo.
- Course poster - can be branded using partner institution logo. Intended for communities and individuals to distribute information about OERu courses.
- Invited members of the Marketing Group to review and provide feedback on the Draft MarComs guidelines for partners
- Open discussion of ideas for developing the OERu marketing plan.
- Agreed the value of drafting a marketing brief to be discussed and refined at the partner's meeting.
- Acknowledged the credibility and integrity of the OERu as an important point of difference in the market.
- Suggested incorporating an ambassador drive component to the marketing plan.
- Accepted that partners compete in the market and the OERu respects the autonomy of institutes. This marketing project follows a "co-opetition" model where partners agree to collaborate on components of the OERu marketing plan in order to compete better in their own markets and promoting associated brand awareness in open education.
- Advised that the OERu will be migrating group communications to a more modern platform on community.oeru.org
- Wayne: to establish MVP marketing group on community.oeru.org and send invitations to join the group.
- Lesley: will share a template outline for a marketing brief.
- All: Review and comment on the Draft MarComs guidelines for partners
- All: Collaborate on drafting the marketing brief document before the OERu partners meeting.