Life Skills Development/Module One
Module one: INTRAPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS
The present module entitled "Intra-Personal Relationship Skills" will address several components such as self esteem and self improvement, values education, goal setting and time management, substance use and abuse, heritage and finally, wellness and care which will focus on nutrition, fitness and stress management. This will provide learners the opportunity to use basic self development concepts and strategies that promote self respect and high self-esteem. They will develop an understanding of the Universal values that enable them to better live in this rapidly changing world. They will be able to incorporate values clarification strategies in their decision making processes and apply the management principles of goal setting and time management to their personal development.
The learners will also recognise the importance of good nutrition and physical fitness for a healthy life and can make decisions to reduce the risk factors associated with the development of life style diseases. They will be able to identify and analyse personal, physical, mental and emotional responses to stress and determine effective coing strategies best suited to the persoanlity type and situation. The learners will also develop understanding about substance use and abuse, and can make ethical choices to avoid any high risk behaviour. Finally, the module will help them to recognise and appreciate the history and achievements of their ancestors.
At the end of this unit, learners will be able:
- incorporate values clarification strategies in their decision making processes
- recognise and value good nutrition as part of a healthy lifestyle and make decisions to reduce the risk factors associated with the development of lifestyle diseases
- identify and make healthy choices related to physical fitness and the prevention of life style diseases.
- identify and analyse personal, physical, mental and emotional responses to stress and determine effective coping strategies best suited to the personality type and situation
- use relevant knowledge to make ethical choices and avoid high risk behaviour
This module comprises six main units as shown below:
- Unit 1: Values Education
- Unit 2: Substance Use and Abuse
- Unit 3: Wellness and Health Care
- Unit 4: Self Assessment Self Esteem
- Unit 5: Goal Setting and Time Management
- Unit 6: Heritage
The Unit 3 includes three subunits: nutrition, fitness and stress management. Each has been considered separately.