This unit standard is for people working, or intending to work, in horticulture. People credited with this unit standard are able to: state how plant names are given or changed; use correct nomenclature for naming plants; and identify four unfamiliar plants.
The unit is used in the following courses
State how plant names are given or changed
- Two codes for naming plants are given.
- Reasons for re-naming a plant are listed.
Use correct nomenclature for naming plants
Range common name, generic name, specific or species name, subspecies, Māori name, cultivar, synonym, varieties, hybrid (interspecific or intergeneric).
- Thirty plants are named correctly.
- Plant nomenclature is written according to International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
Identify four unfamiliar plants
- Plant identification keys are used to identify four unfamiliar plants.