AST1000 Reference materials
We encourage learners to search and find OER and open access publications in pursuit of their own countries of interest, however we provide a list of resources below to get you started.
Study materials used in this course
The website contains all of the pathways you will follow in order to study each week, and the e-learning activities guiding you to select the substantial content of the course using Open Educational Resources online. Please refer to the learning pathways and assigned e-learning activities for further information.
All required materials for this course will be provided on the website. Other materials will need to be accessed through Open Educational Resources online.
Reference materials are materials that, if accessed by students, may improve their knowledge and understanding of the material in the course and enrich their learning experience.
The following titles are Open Access Books available online.
- Altman, Jon & Martin, David 2009, Power, Culture, Economy: Indigenous Australians and Mining, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Braithwaite, John, Braithwaite, Valerie, Cookson, Michael & Dunn, Leah 2010, Anomie and Violence: Non-truth and Reconciliation in Indonesian Peacebuilding, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Campbell McDowall, Roy 2007, Howard’s Long March: The Strategic Depiction of China in Howard Government Policy,1996–2006, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Chen, Chunlai & Duncan, Ron (eds) 2008, Agriculture and Food Security in China, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Douglas, Bronwen & Ballard, Chris 2008, Foreign Bodies: Oceania and the Science of Race 1750–1940, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Forsyth, Miranda 2009, A Bird That Flies With Two Wings: Kastom and state justice in Vanuatu, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Gunawardene, Nalaka & Noronha, Frederick 2007, Communicating Disasters: An Asia Pacific Resource Book, UNDP Regional Centre in Bangkok and TVE Asia Pacific, Bangkok.
- Hooper, Anthony (ed) 2005, Culture and Sustainable Development in the Pacific, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Huisken, Ron (ed) 2009, Rising China: Power and Reassurance, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Hunt, Janet, Smith, Diane, Garling, Stephanie & Sanders, Will (eds) 2008, Contested Governance: Culture, power and institutions in Indigenous Australia, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Luker, Viki & Dinnen, Sinclair (eds) 2010, Civic Insecurity: Law, Order and HIV in Papua New Guinea, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- May, R J & Selochan, V (eds) 2004, The Military and Democracy in Asia and the Pacific, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Medeiros, Evan S, Crane, Keith, Heginbotham, Eric, Levin, Norman D, Lowell, Julia F, Rabasa, Angel & Seong, Somi 2008, Pacific Currents: The Responses of U.S. Allies and Security Partners in East Asia to China's Rise, RAND Corporation, Pittsburgh.
- Tcherkézoff, Serge & Douaire-Marsaudon, Françoise 2008, The Changing South Pacific: Identities and Transformations, 2nd edn, ANU E Press, Canberra.
- Yang, Wen-Shan & Lu, Melody Chia-Wen (eds) 2010, Asian Cross-border Marriage Migration: Demographic Patterns and Social Issues, Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam.
- Zamhari, Arif 2010, Rituals of Islamic Spirituality: A Study of Majlis Dhikr Groups in East Java, ANU E Press, Canberra.
Open Access Online Journals
The following Open Access Online Journals are all searchable at the article level. Students can also browse for articles or other open access journals through the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Australian Review of Public Affairs
- Borderlands e-Journal
- Current Research Journal of Social Science
- Electronic Journal of Contemporary Japanese Studies
- Ethics and Global Politics
- Hmong Studies Journal
- International Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies
- Journal of Asia Pacific Studies
- Journal of Current Chinese Affairs
- Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs
- Journal of Social Sciences
- Kōtuitui: New Zealand Journal of Social Sciences Online
- South Asia Multidisciplinary Academic Journal
- Vestnik: The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies